I always look forward to Sunday so we can see what God does. It was a busy morning nonetheless. I taught Youth Sunday School this morning. Their teacher wasn’t able to make it so I pulled something together to talk about. I enjoyed our conversation and getting to know our young people a little better.
We continued our Hostage series. We talked about being held captive by worry and how to overcome worry. We identified four major causes of anxiety in our society today.
1. Rush Sickness – trying to cram 30 hours of activities in 24 hours.
2. Straining – trying to make it ahead in this world and straining to find acceptance and success in life.
3. Change – changing jobs, homes and other things that are tough changes.
4. World Instability – all the issues of living in a sin-filled world.
To overcome worry we find the remedy in Philippians 4:6-7.
1. Prayer and Supplication – supplication literally means taking our burdens to God and leaving them there.
2. Thanksgiving – Focusing on what He has already done, rather than on what He hasn’t done yet.
3. Let your requests be made known to God – Be specific with your needs.
These are good remedies for worry. They are sure to work because the Bible tells us to take this road. Paul said to be anxious for nothing and then gives us these steps to be without anxiety.
After service we had our first newcomers luncheon to get to know some of our newest people. We were joined by several new families and singles as well as a couple of our long-time members. It was a great time of connecting with some of our newest attenders.